quinta-feira, 24 de novembro de 2016

Miss Gibraltar getting ready for Miss World

November 23, 2016  


Yesterday afternoon, we spoke to Kayley Mifsud our reigning Miss Gibraltar before her departure to USA this Friday, where she will be competing in the Miss World Pageant. SIAN DEAN asked the questions: 

What made you enter Miss Gibraltar?

“At 17/18 it was something I only thought of and then I went to university and grew out of it. I loved the pageant; I have always been one to watch them every single year. When I came back from university and started working, some people proposed the idea of entering; It was like no way, that’s not for me. I think it was more to do with the fact that I wanted to do something that was exciting, something new, but the thing that pushed me to do it was when I had heard that the show would be supporting the Calpe House Trust and I had just come back from the Calpe House with my dad, I had experienced it for myself and knew how much it had helped my dad, it was just something that I felt made sense.”

Who is the most influential person in your life?

“It would have to be my mum, she is always there, me ayuda con todo, she is my best friend I tell her everything and she knows the reasons to everything I do. She has a really good heart and everything she does she does it with a good heart and she instils a lot of that in me.”

What do you like the most about yourself and your personality? 

“It’s quite hard as I don’t like complementing myself but maybe what I like most about myself would be that I am laid back but yet it can be something I don’t like about myself, I think I am just naturally diplomatic and I always see the good in people. I also have an urge to thrill seeking, I am constantly looking for something to do if not I would be bored and in this case it was the Miss Gibraltar Pageant. I am very adventurous, I like skiing which I have not done for too long now, and a bit of hiking and trekking.”

Sacrifices you have made before and as the reigning Miss Gibraltar? 

“I will retract back to Miss Gibraltar, signing up for the Miss Gibraltar Pageant was the most nerve racking thing out of everything else which had to be done. It was mostly preparing mentally for all the questions that would arise, questions like why I had entered and obviously people’s opinions. I have never really been one to like people having opinions about me but that is what you go into. And obviously sacrificing a lot of time, due to rehearsal times I had to put dance on hold, thinking about what I would have to wear for different things was not so much of a sacrifice but still took extra time. I wouldn’t say I sacrificed anything with my food; I basically eat the same or even more leading up to the pageant. I also had to cancel outings with friends and parties for priorities as Miss Gibraltar but at the end of the day this is a once in a lifetime experience.”

What has been your greatest achievement? 

“I think I have a few, in terms of my career, I guess my degree in environmental health which was a lot of hard work, my job at Gib Oil Ltd as a Health and Safety coordinator and obviously Miss Gibraltar which was a great achievement.” 

What is “success” for you? 

“Success is overall happiness, I think if you’re happy and know how to be happy for me that is being successful, if you can walk around every day happy that is being pretty successful but sometimes to be happy you need other things. But success for my day to day life would be crossing things off my To Do List and I am doing everything to better myself day by day.”

What is the essence of being a woman?

“I think women are more compassionate beings compared to men, not always but I think that the essence of being a woman is being strong and compassionate.” 

Is beauty more in the inside than outside? 

“I think beauty on the outside is just temporary. It is initially the first thing you see of someone but once you get to know the person if they are beautiful inside, the outside does not matter. It is more important to be a beautiful person inside than out.” 

Moving on to your departure to the USA on Friday, how do you feel? 

“At the moment I have three days left and as previously stated I am very laid back, I have a lot of things to do in such a short amount of time. I have to get my final gown ready which is being done by Rose Robba and Lindsey Robba which has been a combined effort. I have my talent dance finished; the music has finally been done as it was a combination of different music and sounds. I need to find some time to train, as in Miss World they have a sports round and I don’t want to be unfit, not only that but time to see my family and friends as I will be gone for a month.” 

Tell us a bit about your dress without revealing too much. 

“All I can say is, it is a bit revealing but in a classy way.” 

Who will be accompanying you to the USA?

“No one, I will be going alone, to be honest I don’t know how I am going to manage with my small suitcase and three big ones, but I am going to see if they can send at least one over, if not I will manage. My parents will be coming over for the last week, they will watch the show and then we will stay a few more days to go shopping.”

What do you think is the essence of winning Miss World?

“I think the Miss World Pageant as well as many others have evolved around the world, they have defiantly become more based on personality and intelligence instead of just the looks. The essence I reckon is just being a beautiful person and mostly working with charities and raising awareness.” 

If you won Miss World how would you make a difference?

“If I won Miss World, I would be shocked. I don’t know the ins and outs of what happens as soon as you become Miss World but if it were my choice I would raise awareness for timely issues going on around the world and hopefully raise funds for charities.”

We wish Kayley Mifsud all the best - and good luck! 

22-11-16 PANORAMAdailyGIBRALTAR

gibraltarpanorama.gi/15209/252227/a/miss-gibraltar-getting-ready-for-miss-world

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário