Performing at the Super Bowl was a cakewalk for Julia Scaparotti, compared to her most recent star-spangled endeavor.
The Medford resident and New England Patriots Cheerleader was in another arena entirely representing the Bay State as Miss Massachusetts, in the 2017 Miss USA Pageant, May 14 in Las Vegas, Nev.
A Peabody native, Scaparotti, 25, missed placing in the top 10, ultimately losing out to Miss District of Columbia, Kara McCullough, but enjoyed the competition.
“Representing Massachusetts and being among such talented, intelligent, and beautiful women across the country was truly an honor,” said Scaparotti. “I hope I inspired others to go after their dreams just as I went after mine. It’s an experience I will never forget.”
This marked the second consecutive year that D.C. took the crown, and only the third ever repeat performance by a state or district.
McCullough also became the first Miss USA who was not born in the United States, having immigrated to the states from Italy
The event capped a whirlwind 12-day excursion for Scaparotti, running through a gauntlet of events and personal appearance. But the Peabody High graduate took it all in stride.
“Miss USA was everything I dreamed it would be,” said Scaparotti. “It started with a welcome reception at a $12 million mansion which completely set the mood for the rest of the 10 days I was there. We were busy with photo shoots, video shoots, interviews, rehearsals, fancy dinners, Vegas shows, and even a swimsuit fashion show at the Mandalay Bay pool. I didn’t get much sleep nor did I have much time to relax, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. The memories we made is something I will have for the rest of my life.”
The Medford Transcript caught up with Julia Scaparotti to get her thoughts on competing in the national stage, and where she’s headed next.
How nerve-wracking was it for you being on stage at the Miss USA Pageant?
When I looked out into the crowd and saw my family and friends faces, I think they were more nervous than I was. After the opening number I was filled with so much adrenaline and excitement, I was on top of the world when they were announcing the top 10. The day before, however, I couldn’t sleep. The anticipation was horrible! I waited so long for that moment, that I just wanted it to happen.
Was there anything you wish you did differently?
Luckily for me, I had no regrets. I nailed my personal interview, I felt great about my swimsuit and gown performance during the preliminary competition, and I felt whatever happened I would be OK with the outcome. Sure it may sound cliché, but it’s true. I knew going to Miss USA only one woman was going to win, and 50 other women were going to go home. I was mentally prepared to hear the word “no,” but that wasn’t going to stop me for trying. I did everything in my power to prepare and put the best version of Julia out there on that stage.
MORE VIDEO:
VIDEO: Melrose Adult Trivia Bee crowns winner
Unmute
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:31
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Were there any other contestants that you were surprised didn’t make the top 10?
It’s ironic because growing up, I always followed the Miss USA competition and would try to predict the top 15 and the winner, however, I never knew the contestants. I would do these predictions based off of photos and videos online. Being a contestant and getting to know the other women I was competing against, I couldn’t predict the placements, and/or the winner. I think no matter who they announced in the top 10, I would have been surprised. Every woman on that stage was qualified for the position of Miss USA and every woman deserved to place. The organization said it was the strongest class of women they ever had, and I couldn’t agree more.
What do you think of the new Miss USA?
Kara is a strong and independent woman I look up to, as I did with the other 50 contestants. Kara and I ate together multiple times, stood next to each other during rehearsals, and even chatted about her visiting Boston. I remember watching her get her hair done and was absolutely mesmerized by her glamorous head full of curls. I am excited to watch her reign as Miss USA 2017 and wish her the best of luck.
How many friends and family were in the audience?
I can proudly say I have the best friends and family in the whole entire world. Around 30 people traveled from Massachusetts to Vegas to watch me compete for Miss USA and support my dream, including three Patriots Cheerleaders. I received text messages, flowers, hand-written cards, tweets, and Facebook messages, from friends, families, former co-workers, The Patriots organization, local Boston celebrities, etc. It all made me feel on top of the world. There were Miss USA viewing parties back home in Peabody, Medford, and in Boston. I am surrounded by incredible human beings and I wouldn’t have been able to fulfill my dream without them. I am forever grateful and even though I might not be Miss USA, the people around me make me feel like I am, and that is even better.
What’s next for you?
I will spend the next six months fulfilling my duties as Miss Massachusetts USA, until a new lucky woman is crowned in November. The next event coming up is the Tom Brady Best Buddies Challenge in Hyannisport. I plan to continue to network and advance my on-air hosting career as well. You can still catch me on NESN’s Dirty Water TV, and you might start seeing my face on WBZ-TV.
Will you BE cheering for the Pats again this season?
I sadly hung up my pom-poms and will no longer be a cheerleader for the Patriots. We have our banquet coming up this summer where we will receive our Super Bowl 51 rings. I also plan to work for Patriots.com doing some online video work as well as attend opening day as a fan to watch the fifth Patriots’ Super Bowl banner drop.
Any final thoughts?
I will never forget the surreal feeling of walking across the Miss USA stage with the Massachusetts sash across my body. I love my state with all my heart, and it was an honor representing all the resilient, professional, powerful, and beautiful women from Massachusetts. I look forward to the last six months of my reign as Miss Massachusetts USA 2017 and will continue to work hard for this great state. If any women are interested in competing for my title in November, you can find more information on www.clementeproductions.com.
http://northofboston.wickedlocal.com/sports/20170522/julia-scaparotti-shows-bay-state-spirit-at-miss-usa-pageant