terça-feira, 30 de agosto de 2016

TCC alumna Michaela Sigmon named Miss Virginia

August 29, 2016
From here, not only did Michaela Sigmon go to Old Dominion University, she became Miss Virginia.
The Tidewater Community College Chesapeake Campus alumna will compete in the Miss America pageant on Sept. 11 in Atlantic City. She was crowned Miss Virginia on June 25 in Roanoke, earning a $20,000 scholarship.
Homeschooled through an online academy, the Chesapeake native juggled gymnastics, softball, acting and competitive dance growing up. TCC was the obvious choice for college.
“I really loved it here,” she said. “I knew I could graduate debt free, and TCC was a good transition for me. The teachers really wanted to help, and the classes were small.”
Sigmon earned at 4.0 GPA and was a member of Phi Theta Kappa, the honor society for two-year schools. Last fall, she transferred to Old Dominion, where she is majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in dance and performing arts.
Her college career is on hold for a year while she tends to the duties of Miss Virginia and prepares for Miss America. Sigmon devotes a plethora of time to community service and speaking engagements; more than 52 appearances at elementary schools alone are on her agenda.
Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals holds a special place for her because as a child, she nearly died from double pneumonia before treatment there. She organized a statewide fundraiser for the organization in June.
“They’re the reason I’m here,” she said. “I’m a walking miracle.”
Sigmon calls being named Miss Virginia on June 25 “a dream come true.” She performed an upbeat tap routine to Jennifer Lopez’s “Let’s Get Loud” as her talent, and shared her platform “Making It Matter,” which encourages others to value their self worth and make a difference in their communities.
“I’m committed to reaching out to every person I meet so that every child, parent, educator and leader will be touched with my message that they matter,” she said. I have this saying – ‘I don’t know you, but I see you and value you.’ To be able to share that message is awesome.”
Sigmon credits her faith as a big part of her success. “If I can share God’s light and love with one person, I’d be happy with that,” she said.
Community-minded, Sigmon has completed over 4,000 hours of community service. She hopes to one day work with the NFL Players Association. “I’m hoping to work on their personal charities. It’s my passion to give back,” she said.
As TCC opens for Fall Semester, Sigmon encourages students to seek help if they find themselves struggling early with classes. “The professors are so personable,” she said. “I feel that coming here will help me excel at ODU.”

http://www.tcc.edu/tcc-news/michaela-sigmon-miss-virginia

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário