125LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
It’s a lot of work, but Miss Tennessee Grace Burgess is ready for her journey to Atlantic City.
“I’ve got the weight of the crown on my shoulders for sure, but I’ve been working hard,” Burgess said. “I have a tremendous amount of support and an incredible team that has really pushed me out of my comfort zone so I can be the best version of myself and take that to the Miss America stage.”
Burgess will leave for the 2017 Miss America competition Aug. 28. Preliminary competition is Sept. 6-8 and the final evening will air Sept. 11 on ABC.
Preparing for Miss America has included reading current events, practicing interview skills in front of a mirror, keeping her vocal muscles strong and keeping up with diet and exercise, Burgess said.
She runs five miles every morning and five miles every night, eating plenty of broccoli, spinach, salads and fish. For breakfast, she eats egg whites and oatmeal.
She will also have to pack before heading to Atlantic City, New Jersey. Burgess said she expects to have four or five suitcases to take with her, but not all her wardrobe has yet arrived.
“A lot of things are going to be trickling in the mail throughout this week,” Burgess said. “I’m excited about that to see everything fit together.”
Several Miss Tennessees have made the top 10 in Miss America. Last year’s Miss Tennessee Hannah Robison placed in the top seven and was also the first Miss Tennessee to receive the America’s Choice award.
Burgess said she is looking forward to the “once in a lifetime” opportunity. Her favorite part of the two weeks in Atlantic City could be the “Show Us Your Shoes” parade, she said, where she will wear iris-themed shoes designed by Jane Alderson, executive director of the Miss Tennessee Scholarship Pageant.
Competing in Miss America will allow her to make friends with contestants, even though she will miss family and friends, she said.
For Burgess, this is the culmination of six years of work in the Miss America organization, first in the teen competition and later with Miss Tennessee.
“This is like the Super Bowl of the Miss America organization,” Burgess said. “I’m very, very honored to be representing Tennessee and I promise to do my best while I’m there to make our state look awesome.”
http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/news/local/miss-tennessee/2016/08/21/miss-tennessee-seeks-america-crown/88998688/