BROOKINGS, S.D. -
While athletes have spent the last two weeks competing in Rio de Janeiro for Team USA, one Brookings woman hopes to represent her country in a different way.
Julia Olson started as a college student who was asked to compete in the Miss Brookings Pageant.
She’s now a week away from competing for Miss America.
"I started here in Brookings. A friend asked me to compete for Miss Brookings, Miss SDSU Pageant and I've never done a pageant my entire life, so it's a big step for me."

Miss South Dakota 2016, Julia Olson, takes the stage at her send-off show in Brookings on Sunday before she leaves to New Jersey to compete in the Miss America Pageant.
"This is an opportunity for the community and all my friends and family to get to see my Miss America wardrobe and hear my Miss America talent before it hits the stage at Miss America"
Olson graduated from South Dakota State University this May.
She will not only represent the state of South Dakota in the pageant, but also represent SDSU for one important reason.
"I've never had a thought in my mind that Ii would ever get to be on such a national platform and get to share my heart with people and share my love for Jesus with people."

Olson says ever since she competed in Miss Brookings, she got hooked on pageants.
After competing for Miss South Dakota three times, she finally won the title in June of this year
"I am just so proud to represent a humble an amazing community of people and show the rest of the world how great South Dakota really is"
Olson will be leaving to Atlantic City, New Jersey on August 29th.
While the competition is halfway across the country, fans from home can still help her win.
"There is people choice voting is going on. So everyone can go find me on Facebook at Miss America SD and there is a link on my Facebook page on how to vote for me every day."
Olsen will compete for the top 15 on September 11th.
The Miss South Dakota Organization asks everybody to vote every day from multiple devices to help Miss South Dakota win the title of Miss America.
http://www.kdlt.com/news/local-news/Miss-South-Dakota-Heads-to-New-Jersey-to-Compete-for-Miss-America-Crown/41306174