LINKEDIN 2COMMENTMORE
A new Miss Washington USA was crowned Saturday night.
Kelsey Schmidt was originally the first runner-up in the pageant. But she won the crown when Stormy Keffler resigned earlier this month after a DUI conviction

Keffler is also involved in another police investigation regarding the stabbing of her boyfriend, former Seattle Sounders player Marco Pappa.
Schmidt, who is from Bellevue, says she plans to use her title to promote a positive body image.
“I was teased as a young girl for being chubby and that’s partially why I decided to go into nutritional science, and actually I’m getting my Ph.D. at the University of Washington in that subject matter and I do research at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center as part of my dissertation research,” she said.
On Saturday, the new Miss Washington USA said she hopes to help the organization move forward.
“I think it's so important to highlight the caliber of women that compete in this program and that's why I've decided to take it upon myself to help promote the young women that do compete,” she said.
Schmidt plans to open a nutritional consulting firm and continue her research in chronic disease prevention.
http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/2016/01/31/new-miss-washington-usa-crowned/79609908/