Share
Michaela Sigmon is Miss Virginia, and in September, the Chesapeake native will compete for the title of Miss America.
But her success didn’t happen overnight. Sigmon’s journey to Miss America started 15 years ago, after she watched a friend compete.
“I went to see an older friend from my church, who is now my sister-in-law, and my cousin compete in a pageant,” said Sigmon, 21. She was inspired.
The next year, Sigmon entered that same pageant – her first. She was 6 years old, and she won.
“It was an added bonus that out of 63 girls, I won the title of Miss Virginia Princess and went on to compete in Orlando (Florida),” Sigmon said. “I had won a paid trip to see Mickey Mouse; that made me one happy little girl.”
Sigmon, who currently holds the title of Miss Virginia 2016, has been competing in pageants ever since – and winning.
“Being named Miss Virginia was a dream come true. It is an awesome opportunity, and I am treasuring each day and memory,” Sigmon said.” I know that I have some big shoes to walk in because there have been many wonderful Miss Virginias that have come before me, and like them, I want to do my best to make Virginia proud.”
She will compete in the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Sept. 11.
“To be named Miss America would be the ultimate reward for years of hard work,” Sigmon said. “I know whether representing my state as Miss Virginia, or representing my nation as Miss America, I want to continue to reach out to others and let them know they are valued and important. Which level I am afforded the opportunity to perform this much-needed task is entirely left to my maker.”
Guided by both her faith and her family, Sigmon said without them – her motivators – she would be nothing.
The youngest of four children, the words “family” and “home” hold special meaning to Sigmon, who was raised in Greenwood Estates.
Not only was she homeschooled, she also was born at home.
http://pilotonline.com/news/local/chesapeake-woman-is-representing-virginia-in-the-miss-america-pageant/article_6cf50879-4409-56e5-9c93-faca3864c63f.html