terça-feira, 5 de julho de 2016

Blenheim harness racing driver Hannah McCabe makes Miss Universe NZ finals

0:01
/
1:57
 
SCOTT HAMMOND/STUFF.CO.NZ
From gumboots to stilettos
SCOTT HAMMOND/Stuff.co.nz
Local girl and bar worker at The Woodbourne Tavern Hannah McCabe makes the finals in Miss Universe New Zealand.

Ads by Google

Hotéis? trivagotrivago.com.br/Ofertas
Compare entre as melhores ofertas e economize
"I have gone from gumboots to stilettos," Hannah McCabe laughs.
When she's not pulling pints or harness racing, the 22-year-old Blenheim woman is taking on the best beauties in New Zealand.
McCabe is one of 20 finalists in Miss Universe New Zealand.
Woodbourne Tavern bar worker Hannah McCabe has made the finals of Miss Universe New Zealand.
SCOTT HAMMOND/FAIRFAX NZ
Woodbourne Tavern bar worker Hannah McCabe has made the finals of Miss Universe New Zealand.
"I'm a country girl living the city girl lifestyle," she said.
"I didn't think I would make it this far. I saw so many girls in the semifinals that were beautiful and kind that were the full package."
Harness driver Hannah McCabe says being in the finals of Miss Universe New Zealand is scarier than racing.
SCOTT HAMMOND/FAIRFAX NZ
Harness driver Hannah McCabe says being in the finals of Miss Universe New Zealand is scarier than racing.
Thought to be the first Marlborough-based driver to gain a junior harness racing licence for more than 40 years, McCabe has been riding horses since she was 3. 
When she turned 5 she began showing her ponies before moving on to showjumping.
Taking part in Miss Universe was more challenging than riding horses, she said.
"I'm an adrenaline junkie, I like to push myself out of my comfort zone. I'm competitive but I have fun with it."
Ad Feedback
Miss Universe was "more than a beauty pageant", she said. 
It was a good platform to achieve community good and to raise money for Variety New Zealand, which funds sick and needy children throughout New Zealand.
McCabe entered the competition during a car trip to Hanmer Springs.
Thirty minutes later she got an email she had been selected for stiletto boot camp.
"It's like a glamorous boot camp. You learn to walk with sass, grace and elegance. We all left with at least five plasters on each foot."
Last year McCabe got as far as the boot camp stage.
"I went there a really shy girl that stayed in the corner. This year I went as myself and confident."
All 20 finalists will next undergo a televised elimination on September 3 to decide who ends up representing New Zealand at the global Miss Universe contest.
Part of the judging criteria for the deciding televised event will be how much local support has been evident for each contestant and how much money each has raised for charity.
McCabe said she was nervous being on TV in front of hundreds of thousands of viewers.
"I am worried about tripping and falling over in the finals. Mum calls me a baby elephant."
She was prepared for the positive and negative comments the competition would attract.
"You will always get people that have an opinion about you. I have to make sure that doesn't get me down."
McCabe coached a year 9 netball team, was a Pony Club instructor and played netball for Harlequins Woodbourne Tavern netball team. 
When she wasn't racing, she was worked behind the bar of Renwick's Woodbourne Tavern but had ambitions to become a policewoman.
The Woody's punters had thrown their support behind her.
Her manager even tried to teach her how he would walk on the catwalk. 
"The old locals have added me on Facebook. Some said 'you are not a pageant girl'. They don't believe it is me in my picture."
For McCabe's "entrepreneurial challenge" she was holding a three-course buffet at the Woodbourne Tavern on Saturday night starting at 6pm. Tickets are available from the tavern.
You can support her through her Facebook page.
 
 - The Marlborough Express
http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/81759825/Blenheim-harness-racing-driver-Hannah-McCabe-makes-Miss-Universe-NZ-finals

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário